Almost two years after the presentation of the EU Global Strategy and more than a year after Jean Claude Juncker’s white book on the future of Europe, the European Union still struggles with major challenges and threats that seem to undermine the stability of the security environment within its borders and in its neighbourhood.
In addition, in the aftermath of Brexit and with the proximity of to the European Parliament elections in 2019, it is worth discussing the role the EU can play in the current global transformations, as well as the domestic and external obstacles it faces as a global actor.
To discuss the EU’s current challenges and opportunities, the Centre for International Studies at ISCTE-IUL (Instituto Universitário de Lisboa) is organising the third edition of the international conference Europe as a Global Actor, to be held in Lisbon, on May 24 & 25, 2018.
We welcome the submission of papers covering the general theme of the conference – “Europe as a global actor”, namely within these topics:
- The future of the Common Security and Defence Policy
- The European policy on migration and asylum
- The state of the Union and the future of Europe: reflections and scenarios
- Global threats to EU’s security environment (Terrorism, organized crimes, non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, climate change, hybrid warfare)
- The implementation of the EU Global Strategy
- The European Neighbourhood Policy and EU-Russia relations
- Transatlantic relations (EU-NATO cooperation and EU-US relations)
- The spread of populism and the changing trends in Europe’s politics and governance
- EU’s security actorness and regionalism (Africa, Latin America, Middle East..)
The papers accepted must be presented in EGA 2018 in English.
How to submit
Proposals (in English) should include:
- Name, institutional affiliation and a short biographical note (550 characters with spaces)
- Abstract (1400 characters with spaces)
- Number (I-X) of the conference topic where your paper can be fitted in by the conference organisers
The proposals should be submitted in the application form available here.
Notification of acceptance will be communicated until the end of March, 2018.
- Speakers – €30
- Speakers (Students) – €15
After the Conference, full papers can be submitted for a double-blind peer review until September 30, 2018 to be published in CEI-IUL’s Ebook’IS (Ebooks in International Studies) publishing series.
Make sure to read the submission guidelines before submitting your paper for publication.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.